10 Pretty Hawaiian poke bowls that will make you want to get in on the new trend
Earlier this year Food24 reported on predicted food trends for the year 2017. The Hawaiian staple - poke - made it to the list and it was predicted that this trendy dish will be as in demand as sushi was many years ago.
True to form, the poke scene is blowing up and bowls are currently gracing Instagram feeds far and wide as people are starting to love it.
ALSO READ:We visit SA's first ever dedicated poke restaurant, Hokey Pokey in Cape Town
Poke has been a rather simple Hawaiian staple for centuries - aloha! - and the Hawaiian word poke actually means to "cut crosswise in pieces". The traditional Hawaiian variation calls for poke to be eaten either on its own or with a sushi rice base.
The modernised poke dish that we have today, however, is much more dressed up. It usually consists of raw, cubed fish seasoned accordingly and served on a bed of rice or noodles with your choice of toppings. The likes of nacho chips, avocado, quinoa and much more can also be incorporated.
While poke bowls hit major US cities quite some time ago, South Africa's first ever poke bar only opened this year February!
Allow these aesthetically pleasing poke bowls to take you on a trip to an exotic Hawaiian island!
1. Sesame seeds are the order of the day!
2. Layer upon layer of healthy good food...
3. Anyone up for an Hawaiian poke burrito?
4. This bowl is almost prettier than the flower featuring in it!
5. A picture perfect close-up of a raw, simple poke bowl.
6. This bowl is reminiscent of a Summer day on a tropical island...
7. We can almost taste the crunch!
8. The ideal combination.
9. It doesn't get more healthier and nourishing than this!