Man eats world's hottest chilli and goes directly to the hospital

Images: iStock

ALSO READ: How to crumb-proof your keyboard during your desk lunch.

Recently published in the BMJ Medical Reports, a site where healthcare professionals submit interesting medical cases, a local New York man developed severe symptoms as a result of eating the world's hottest chilli.

In a local chilli eating contest, an unnamed contestant complained of intense and powerful headaches along with dry heaving after chowing down a capsaicin chilli. Unable to tolerate the painful headaches, the contestant rushed himself to the emergency room after days of suffering. 

In a report by Dr Kulothungan Gunasekaran, 'a 34-year-old man with no significant medical history presented to the emergency room (ER) after an episode of thunderclap headache. His symptoms began with dry heaves but no vomiting immediately after participation in a hot pepper contest where he ate one ‘Carolina Reaper,’ the hottest chilli pepper in the world.'

There was no sign of any permanent damage but the man was diagnosed with reversible cerebral vasoconstriction syndrome, RCVS, that constricted blood vessels and blood flow to the brain, what doctors asses as the cause of the extreme headache. 

Our take, probably steer clear of anything that burns your fingers before you put it in your mouth.

ALSO READ: Cake-smashing: The adult edition.