Sloppy Joe casserole
A deliciously messy meaty casserole made from minced beef, cheese and crispy bread croutons.
- 15 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 700 g beef mince
- 30 ml tomato paste
- 125 ml tomato sauce
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 30 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 30 ml fresh oreganum, chopped plus extra to serve
- 15 ml ground cumin
- 2.5 ml salt
- pinch dried chilli flakes
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 250 ml Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 ciabatta or sourdough rolls
- 60 ml butter
- 3/4 red onion, finely chopped
- 250 ml gherkins, finely chopped
- 30 ml chives, finely chopped
For the casserole, pre heat the oven to 180°C.
Heat the oil in pot over medium heat, add the onions and garlic and sauté, 2 minutes.
Add the beef mince and sauté, 5 minutes.
Stir in the tomato paste, tomato sauce, tinned tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, oreganum, cumin, salt and chili flakes.
Cover with a lid and simmer, 15 minutes. Stir in the green peppers.
Spoon the mixture into a 22cm x 18cm baking dish.
Top with the grated cheese. Cut the rolls into 1cm thick rounds and spread with the butter.
Arrange the bread over the cheese and meat mixture and bake until golden and crisp, 10-15 minutes.
For the salsa, stir all of the ingredients together. Serve the casserole with the salsa on the side.
For a leaner meat alternative, replace the beef with ostrich mince.