Lemon, zucchini and chilli carbonara
- 250 g pasta (optional: gluten free)
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 3 cup thinly sliced zucchini
- 1/2 red chilli finely chopped (or a pinch of dried chilli flakes)
- 2 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 100 ml crème fraiche
- zest of a large lemon, 2 small lemons
- 3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra to serve
- 1 Tbs chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
Cook the pasta until in salted water according to manufacturer’s instructions.
While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the zucchini and chili for a few minutes, tossing and shaking the pan. When this is cooked, set aside.
Get all the other ingredients ready.
When the pasta is al dente, drain, reserving 100ml of the cooking liquid. Put the pasta back in the pot with the liquid (off the heat). Add the egg and stir to incorporate. Add all the other ingredients – including the zucchini, stir and put the lid on. This will heat everything through. Adjust seasoning; it needs a good few grinds of black pepper.
Serve immediately with more grated Parmesan.
Recipe reprinted with permission of Earthbound Wines.