Asian pork noodle salad
Simple and tasty.
- 500 g pork fillet (or free-range chicken breasts), thinly sliced
- 2 Tbs sunflower oil
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 4 stalks lemon grass, tough outer leaves removed and very finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbs sesame oil
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 300 g flat rice noodles (pad Thai noodles), cooked according to packet instructions
- 3 large carrots, finely grated
- 3 sticks celery, finely sliced
- 6 spring onions, finely sliced
- handful coriander leaves (optional)
- 1/2 cup cocktail peanuts
Mix the fish sauce, turmeric, lemon grass, garlic and sesame oil and toss with the pork. Marinate for 30 minutes or overnight.
Simmer vinegar and sugar, uncovered, until the sugar has dissolved.
Heat a wok or frying pan over medium-high heat, add the pork and stir-fry until golden brown and just cooked.
Divide the noodles between four bowls, top with some carrot, celery and spring onions and then some of the pork.
Spoon 2–3 tbsp of the dressing over each salad, sprinkle with peanuts, garnish with coriander and serve immediately with extra dressing on the side
Text and image:Fairlady
To receive quick and convenient weekday recipes, join our Easy Weekday Meals mailing list, and for up-to-date trending food, restaurant and wine news subscribe to our Editor’s Weekly newsletter.