Brinjal and mushroom lasagne
- WHITE SAUCE
- ½ onion, peeled
- 5 black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 500 ml milk
- 30 g butter
- 45 ml white bread flour
- 5 ml nutmeg
- 125 ml mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 punnets chopped mixed mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red pepper, chopped (optional)
- 30 ml butter
- 4-6 sun-dried tomatoes in vinaigrette, chopped
- generous handful of fresh basil, chopped
- TO FINISH
- 4 medium brinjals, thinly sliced and salted
- olive oil
- grated cheddar or pecorino cheese for sprinkling
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease an oven-proof dish with non-stick spray.
1. White sauce: Heat the onion, peppercorns, bay leaves and milk to just below the boil. Remove from the heat and cool. Strain and discard the solids.
2. In a separate saucepan melt the butter, then stir in the flour to form a smooth paste. Add the milk slowly, stirring continuously while bringing to the boil. Season with the nutmeg then add the cheese. Set aside.
3. Mushrooms: Fry the mushrooms, garlic and pepper (if using) in the butter until soft. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and basil.
4. To finish: Rinse the salt off the brinjals and pat dry. Arrange on a baking sheet and sprinkle oil over. Bake until soft but not brown or crispy.
5. Arrange a layer of brinjals in the ovenproof dish, then a layer of mushrooms, followed by white sauce. Repeat until all the ingredients have been used, ending with white sauce.
6. Sprinkle the cheese over and bake for 20-30 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Serve with a garden salad