Masala marinated chicken salad
Marinating the chicken in advance helps to keep it juicy. Chicken breasts can also be marinated whole instead of in strips.
- 4 chicken breast fillets, sliced into thin strips
- 60 ml natural yoghurt
- 30 ml roasted masala
- 2.5 ml turmeric
- 2.5 ml cumin seeds, toasted
- 5 cm fresh ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 15 ml oil
- 120 g mixed salad greens
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 pineapple, cubed
- 1 avocado, cube
- juice of 1 lime or lemon
- 2 sprigs of mint (optional)
1. Put the chicken in a glass or marinade bowl along with the rest of the ingredients. Mix well, cover and marinate in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.
2. Heat the oil in a nonstick pan and stir-fry the chicken until done. Set aside to cool.
3. Salad: Arrange the salad greens, cucumber and pineapple on a large plate. Top with the chicken and avocado and season with the lime or lemon juice.
Garnish with mint (if using) and serve. Other veggies can also be used as fillings or even pesto, if preferred.
TIP: For a whole chicken, double the marinade and cut out the spine to make a spatchcock. Marinade the chicken for at least an hour Then braai over coals or roast in the oven.