- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 cup maize meal
- 1 cucumber - unpeeled but seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cup cherry tomatoes - halved
- 1/4 cup spring onions - finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 Tbs flat-leaf parsley - chopped
- 2 Tbs mint - chopped
- 2 lemons - juiced
- 4 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- lettuce - for plating (Chef Nti uses romaine)
Pour a little salt and the hot water into a pot with a thick base and bring to the boil.
Add the maize meal (don’t stir) and close the lid, reduce heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork during cooking until it’s crumbly.
Set aside to cool completely, then crumble using your hands for a super-fine texture.
Mix in the spring onion first, then add the cucumber, tomatoes, cumin, parsley, mint, lemon juice and oil, and season to taste.
Arrange a bed of lettuce on a serving platter and heap the tabbouleh onto it. Drizzle with more olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice, and serve.
Recipe extract from My Modern African Kitchen by Chef Nti published by Quivertree Publications.