Café mushrooms on toast
- 6 button mushrooms, finely chopped
- olive oil and a good knob of butter
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- fresh thyme
- splash of white wine vinegar
- 250 g large portobello or field mushrooms
- 125 ml grated Parmesan cheese
- 125 ml fresh cream
- banting bread, toasted, available from most leading artisanal bakeries
Add the button mushrooms to a hot pan with olive oil, butter, garlic and some fresh thyme. Add the vinegar.
After about 30 seconds, add the portobello or field mushrooms to the pan. I find them easier to work with when halved or quartered.
Add about half of the Parmesan cheese as you add the cream, which will thicken the sauce and add to the flavour. Reserve the rest of the cheese for sprinkling over the finished dish.
Continue adding the cream and stirring slowly over low heat for about 3 minutes, until you are happy with the consistency.
Serve the creamy mushrooms on toast.
This recipe is an extract from Jump on The Bant Wagon cookbook by Nick Charlie Key.