Macaroni with mature Cheddar and bacon
Mature cheddar cheese has a much stronger flavour than regular cheddar. That’s what gives this macaroni bake its great taste.
- 500 g macaroni
- 200 g streaky bacon, diced
- 30 ml butter
- 45 ml flour
- 500 ml milk
- 250 ml cream
- 500 ml grated mature cheddar cheese salt and freshly ground pepper
- 250 ml grated mozzarella cheese
Preheat the oven to 200°C. Grease a medium ovenproof dish with nonstick spray.
1. Cook the macaroni according to the packet instructions until just done. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat a pan and fry the bacon until crispy. Remove from the pan and set aside.
3. Melt the butter in the same pan. Reduce the heat and gradually stir in the flour. Mix well then gradually pour in the milk, stirring continuously. If the sauce becomes lumpy, whisk it rapidly using a balloon whisk.
4. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add the cream and reheat.
5. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheddar cheese and bacon. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Add the macaroni, stirring lightly until covered in the sauce. Spoon the mixture into the prepared oven proof dish.
7. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over. Bake for 20 minutes or until heated through and the cheese is melted and golden.