Make a tasty homemade tomato sauce and use it as the base.
- 100 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 200 ml basic tomato sauce
- 2,5 ml sugar
- 5 ml salt
- 5 ml smoked paprika
- pinch of saffron threads
- 500 ml uncooked Arborio rice
- zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- 750 ml good-quality fish or chicken stock, plus more if needed
- 250 ml dry white wine
- 8 prawns, deveined
- 8 mussels
- 2 calamari steaks, grilled and cut into strips
- 500 g grilled fish, cut into bitesize pieces
- 60 ml fresh parsley, finely chopped
- lemon wedges, for serving
1 Heat the olive oil in a large paella pan and sauté the onion until soft. Add the garlic and, before it begins to colour, add the tomato sauce.
2 Add the sugar, salt, paprika and saffron, stir well and cook for 10 minutes.
3 Add the rice and stir well until all the grains are glossy and coated.
4 Add the lemon zest and squeeze over the lemon juice.
5 Bring the stock and wine to a boil in a saucepan. Pour over the rice and bring to a boil.
6 Stir well and spread the rice out evenly in the pan (do not stir again).
7 Cook the rice over low heat for 12-17 minutes, moving the pan around and rotating it so that the rice cooks evenly.
8 Place the prawns and mussels on top after 10 minutes, turning when they are pink on the one side. Cover with a lid to allow the seafood to steam and cook through.
9 Add a little more hot stock towards the end if the rice seems too dry.
10 When the rice is cooked, turn off the heat, cover the pan with a large piece of foil and allow to steam for 10 minutes.
11 Add the grilled calamari and fish to the paella and serve with lots of fresh parsley and lemon wedges.