Chicken and lentil soup
Preparation time : 5 mins Cooking time : 30 mins Servings : 4Heat a little oil in a saucepan and saute the leeks, mushrooms and carrots until soft. Add the stock, chicken and lentils and bring to the boil. Boil for 10 mins.
- 2 small leeks, sliced
- 250 g button mushrooms, quartered
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1.5 l good-quality chicken stock
- 3 chicken breast fillets, quartered
- 250 ml small brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 4 courgettes, sliced or diced
- 100 ml shredded fresh basil
- 100 ml grated Parmesan cheese
- fresh bread, to serve
Remove the chicken and set aside to cool slightly. Shred the chicken and add back to the saucepan with the tomatoes. Season to taste with salt, freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of sugar, if necessary. Simmer for 10 mins.
Add the courgettes and simmer for 5 more mins until the courgettes and lentils are cooked. Sprinkle with shredded basil and grated Parmesan cheese. Serve with warm crusty bread.
Hearty lentil stew
Chicken and leek casserole