- 125 g butter
- 2 red onion - finely chopped
- 4 large tomatoes - peeled and chopped
- 1 red pepper - de-seeded and chopped
- 1 green pepper - de-seeded and chopped
- 3 large carrots - peeled and grated
- 250 ml raw sweet corn kernels
- 2 tsp fine chopped red chillies
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp good quality masala
- ½ tsp chopped garlic
- ½ tsp ground coriander spice
- salt and pepper - to taste
- 1 can quality baked beans in tomato sauce
Heat a large frying pan and add the butter.
Once the butter has melted, add the onions and sauté them until they become
Add all the other ingredients except the baked beans and cook over a low heat for about 15 mins.
Then add the baked beans.
Stir occasionally and cook for a further 15 mins until thick but still moist.
That’s it! Simple as that.
Note: To peel a tomato, make an ‘X’ incision on one side, put it in boiling water for a few minutes, and then in ice cold water. The skin should fall away with a gentle tug.
Makes about 3 cups.
Recipe extract from My Food, My Journey by Lesego Semenya.