Watermelon and biltong salad
We love the taste of salty biltong with watermelon.
- ½ watermelon, chopped
- 1 large cucumber, halved lengthways, deseeded and sliced into half-moons
- handful mint, chopped
- handful coriander, chopped
- handful basil, chopped
- 2 handfuls salted peanuts, chopped
- 50 g biltong
- 30 ml watermelon jam
- 1 finely-grated zest of lime
- 2 juice of lime
- 60 ml extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 watermelon, cubed and deseeded
- 60 ml caster sugar
- 3 sprig thyme
- 500 ml ginger ale
Toss all the ingredients together in a large bowl.
Combine the jam, lime zest and juice and oil in a small bowl or jug, then season.
3 Toss most of the dressing through the salad, then transfer to a large serving platter. Leave the salad to sit for a couple of minutes to absorb the flavours, then serve.
Purée watermelon with the sugar. Pour into a jug with the thyme and ginger ale. Chill for 8 hours before serving.