Beef short rib with garlic roast potatoes
These tender, juicy beef ribs are hands down a family favourite.
- 6-8 beef short ribs
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3-5 garlic cloves, halved
- 5 ml mustard seeds
- 1 star anise
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 250 ml plum jam
- 60 ml soy sauce
- 3-4 cm fresh ginger, cut in to matchsticks
- 1 kg baby potatoes
- 2-3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- olive oil
1. Put the ribs in a large, wide saucepan and cover with water. Add the onion, garlic, mustard seeds, star anise, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 1-1½ hours or until the meat is tender. Skim off any froth occasionally.
2. Sauce: Mix the ingredients.
3. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Dip the ribs into the sauce, arrange in a roasting pan and spoon extra sauce over. Cook in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the ribs are sticky.
4. Potatoes: Put the potatoes and garlic into a pot with water, season with salt and boil until the potatoes are soft. Transfer to a large baking tray, drizzle olive oil over and season with sea salt. Put under the grill for 5 minutes or until browned. Serve with the ribs.