Chocolate oat muffins
Although there’s little oil in these muffins, the rolled oats and banana ensure a moist, soft texture.
- 250 ml stone-ground white bread flour
- 7,5 ml baking powder
- 2,5 ml bicarbonate of soda
- 2,5 ml salt
- 60 ml cocoa powder
- 500 ml rolled oats
- 125 ml brown sugar
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 80 ml canola oil
- grated zest of 1 orange
- 90 ml orange juice
- 125 ml dark chocolate, chopped
- TO SERVE
- whipped cream
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line six hollows of a deep muffin tin with baking paper and grease well with non-stick spray.
1. Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cocoa powder together, then add the oats and sugar. Mix well.
2. Mix the mashed bananas with the eggs, oil, orange zest and juice. Fold lightly into the dry ingredients until just mixed.
3. Fill each muffin hollow ¾ of the way with batter. Press the chocolate pieces into the top.
4. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
5. To serve: Serve lukewarm or cold with a spoonful of whipped cream.