Chocolate and orange are a winning combo. Enjoy this biscotti with a cup of your favourite brew.
- 5 eggs, separated
- 250 ml sugar
- 10 ml vanilla essence
- 750 ml cake flour plus extra for sprinkling
- 2,5 ml salt
- grated zest of 1 large orange
- 100 g macadamia nuts or almonds
- 100 g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a large baking sheet with baking paper and grease with non-stick spray. Keep extra baking sheets handy.
1. In a large mixing bowl beat the egg yolks and sugar until light and creamy. Mix in the vanilla essence.
2. Add the 750ml cake flour, salt, orange zest, nuts and chocolate and mix well.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form, then fold into the dough.
4. Transfer the dough to a generously floured hard surface. Divide into three equal parts and shape each into a rough oval loaf.
5. Transfer the loaves to the prepared baking sheet. (Sprinkle flour on your hands if necessary as the dough can be sticky.)
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until done. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack. Leave to cool completely.
7. Thinly slice the loaves and arrange the slices in a single layer on the baking sheets.
8. Bake for another 10 minutes until light brown and crispy. Leave to cool completely and store the biscotti in an airtight container.