Easy mini-banana loaves with banana ice cream
A perfect way to use overripe bananas. Yummy, rich and delicious.
- 1 box vanilla cake readymix
- 3 overripe bananas, mashed
- 5 ml ground cinnamon
- 160 ml sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 10 ml maizena
- 250 ml milk
- pinch of salt
- 4 large ripe bananas, diced
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- 50 g walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 375 ml cream
Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease and line 10 mini loaf tins.
1. Mix the cake according to the package instructions. Add the bananas and cinnamon and mix. Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf tins and bake for 25-28 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk the sugar and eggs until light and fluffy. Sift the maizena into the mixture and whisk until well incorporated. Set aside.
3. Simmer the milk over medium heat and whisk into the egg mixture. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan, add the salt and cook over low heat until the custard thickens, stirring continuously.
4. Cool the mixture then add the bananas, vanilla essence and nuts. Whisk the cream until stiff peaks form and fold into the custard. Spoon into a plastic container, cover with a lid and freeze for about 6 hours. Remove the ice cream from the freezer 15 minutes before serving. Serve with the banana loaves.