Lemon and lime meringue pie
For a really special dinner party dessert, you can't go wrong with a lemon and lime meringue pie.
- 1 packet tennis biscuits, crushed
- 100 g butter, melted
- 30 ml desiccated coconut (optional)
- 30 ml flour
- 2 cans condensed milk
- 180 ml lemon juice
- 60 ml lime juice
- grated zest of 1 lime
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 egg whites
- 250 ml castor sugar
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 20cm spring-form cake tin with non-stick spray.
1. Crust: Mix the crushed biscuits, butter, coconut (if using) and flour well. Line the bottom and sides of the cake tin with the crumb mixture.
2. Filling: Mix the ingredients well and pour into the crust.
3. Bake for 30 minutes, then remove from the oven to cool. Chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours or overnight.
4. Meringue: Whisk the egg whites until foamy. Whisk in the castor sugar a little at a time.
5. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Spoon the meringue on top of the filling and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the meringue starts browning all over. Leave to cool then slice and serve