Lemon meringue custard slices
Marry custard slices with lemon meringue pie – and wait for the compliments to roll in.
- 6 egg yolks
- 180 ml castor sugar
- 100 ml flour
- 500 ml milk
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 packet cream crackers
- extra grated lemon zest
- 375 ml castor sugar
- 1.2 ml cream of tartar
- 80 ml cold water
- pinch of salt
- 2 egg whites
- 5 ml Vanilla essence
Grease a rectangular baking tin with nonstick spray.
1. Custard: Beat the egg yolks and castor sugar together. Sprinkle the flour over and beat until well combined.
2. Pour the milk into a saucepan and heat over low heat until just below boiling point.
3. Add 60ml (¼c) of the milk to the egg mixture and beat quickly. Add another 60ml (¼c) of the milk and beat well, then add the last of the milk and beat again.
4. Return the milk mixture to the saucepan and heat over low heat, stirring continuously, until the custard thickens.
5. Mix the lemon zest into the custard and transfer to a clean bowl. Cover with clingfilm (directly on the surface of the custard) and chill for 30 minutes.
6. Custard slices: Arrange half the crackers tightly together in the bottom of the prepared baking tin, ensuring there are no gaps in between. Spread the custard evenly over the layer of crackers, and top with another layer of crackers. Cover with clingfilm and chill in the fridge for at least an hour or until set.
7. Meringue: Put all the ingredients in a large glass bowl over a double boiler. Bring the water to the boil and beat the mixture in the glass bowl for 7-10 minutes or until thick and glossy. Remove from the double boiler and set aside to cool slightly.
8. To serve: Cut into slices, using the crackers as a guide. Top with the meringue and serve.